Thursday, February 19, 2009

Revamping my website part 2 - Photoshelter reads my mind

Today I was pleasantly surprised by an email from Photoshelter listing many of the new features of the site including a very informative survey of art buyers about what they like and don't like in portfolio websites. This is the kind of information I need and it confirmed a lot of what I had already thought and shed some light on other things I have not given much thought to or even considered at all. Now, this survey leans a little towards the side of stock photography, whether it be rights-managed or royalty-free, but there is still a heckuva lot of information here regardless of what your audience is and if you want photo editors looking at your work you don't want to turn them off, right?

I might as well mention here that the survey in the end is a sales pitch to try Photoshelter's new custom portfolio hosting. That being said, they are allowing non-members to get a copy of the 22-page survey in exchange for your email address by going here.

I must admit I am seriously considering the Photoshelter portfolio route, although I'm a very competent web designer and developer I don't want to spend all of my time designing, building and maintaining a portfolio site especially if I start taking some of wht's in this survey seriously. Now that I'v discovered the export to photoshelter plug-in for Lightroom I'm feeling more inclined to upgrade my account but $300 a year is a big step up from what I pend on my site currently.

No comments:

Post a Comment